2020 in Review
- This was a year of doing scary things and establishing passive revenue streams. Also of isolation and appreciating friendship and close ones.
- Only Lovers Left Alive
- What We Do in the Shadows
- Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Harry Potter series (at least to some point)
- It’s A Wonderful Life
- Baby Driver
- Chico y Rita
- The Princess Bride
- Mary Poppins
Best TV Shows
- Russian Doll
- The Mandalorian
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Introvert’s Guide to Personal Branding by Anastasia Shcherbakova
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- Fables: The Wolf Among Us, Volume 1 by Matthew Sturges
- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
- Mastery by Robert Greene
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers by Ben Horowitz
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- On the Shortness of Life by Seneca
- The Sandman (Sandman Audible Original, ()) by Dirk Maggs
- Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics by Tim Marshall
- Homo Deus: A History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari
- It Doesn’t Have to Be Crazy at Work by Jason Fried
- Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
- The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
- Who Owns the Future? by Jaron Lanier
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight
- The Christmas Hirelings by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
- More on Goodreads
- How Tracking My Excuses Helped Me Stop Making Them by Leigh Stein
- Advertising is a cancer on society — Jacek Złydach
- What is a Mastermind And Why You Should Start Your Own Group
- Ramblings from Jessie: Power to the People
- Béton brut – Chromecast dla Linuksiarza
- The Power of a Resonance Calendar by Brandon Zhang
- Tending the Roam Garden
Best Music Albums
- Vince Guaraldi “It’s Christmas, Charlie Brown”
- Nightwish “HUMAN. :II: NATURE.”
- Avantasia “The Metal Opera”
- The Gentle Storm “The Diary”
- Mythos “The Best Of Mythos”
- More on Last.FM
Best Music Tracks
- Prayers “Lucifer Rising”
- Gloryhammer “Universe on Fire”
- Avantasia “The Looking Glass”
- Gloryhammer “Hootsforce”
- Los Bitchos “This Link is About to Die”
- Edden Synthetic Corps “The Robots”
- Light Asylum “Skull Fuct”
- Emilie Autumn “One Foot in Front of the Other”
- D.A.F. “Der Sheriff (VNV Nation Remix)”
- Mike Oldfield “Nuclear”
- Olivia Ruiz “My Lomo & Me (Je Photographie Des Gens Heureux)”
- Kasia Moś & AUKSO “Prząśniczka”
- Bob Dylan “Must be Santa”
- The Weeknd “Blinding Lights”
- Punto Omega “El Regreso”
- Unwoman “Jolene (The Eldritch One)”
- Deine Lakaien “Because the Night”
- Deine Lakaien; streaming; 2020.07.16
Best Theatre Play
- Swan Lake; Wiener Staatsoper, streaming; 2020.04.14
- The Nutcracker; Wiener Staatsoper, streaming; 2020.04.18
What I’ve Created
- Managing Advanced Kubernetes Logging and Tracing on Pluralsight
- Open Source Your GitHub Project on Pluralsight
- A tutorial for DigitalOcean
- An article for freeCodeCamp
- Several articles on dev.to
- A talk at Lambda Days
- A talk at DevOpsDays Geneva
- A series of online events under the banner “Future of Work” (collaboration between Hackerspace Trójmiasto and Toptal)
- Python scrapping online workshop
- Songcorder (that also launched Meraki Acoustic)
- Published a Digital Garden
- Bit Better newsletter
- Bit Better Book Club newsletter
- Redesigned the Bit Better newsletter archive
What I Failed to Create
- Once more, a proper Meraki Chai branding, Webpage, and sales campaign
- I haven’t finished writing a book
- I failed to maintain a regular two-week schedule with Bit Better newsletter for more than half of the year
Top Habit I’ve Added to my Daily Routine
- Using Roam Research
Trips I’ve Taken
- Kraków for Lambda Days
- Geneva for DevOpsDays Geneva
- Kashubia several times
- Suwałki and Masuria
- Bory Tucholskie
- Kadyny and Frombork
Physical Accomplishments and Body Changes
- Gained some weight and not all of it is muscles unfortunately. Chest and arms have now trouble fitting my workout hoodie.
- Stopped getting regular haircuts.
- Progressed (mostly mentally) with new parkour vaults.
- Spent few weeks locked up in a small apartment with my partner and had great time together.
- Gained a lot of support from my partner whenever I had doubts about the choices that I make.
- Hosted several music listening sessions with friends.
- Met new people on the conferences and online events I frequented.
- Helped people connect personally and professionally.
- Helped people get new freelance gigs or find right people for the job.
- Coached people in accountability.
- Attended regular meetings of my Mastermind Group.
- Enjoyed the time spent with friends and close ones.
- Tried new social activities such as Dionysia, kayaking, and bouldering.
- Watching movies and TV series on a big screen from projector and great sound from HiFi
- Music listening sessions with friends
- Playing video games (mostly titles from my youth, such as Heroes of Might & Magic 3, Command & Conquer: Red Alert or Unreal Tournament)
- Watching the night sky far from city lights
How Did My Career Grow or Change over the Year?
- I’ve released two video courses on Pluralsight
- I’ve launched a product, complete with marketing, sales, promotion, and all that jazz
- I kept being nice to people which landed me quite a few interesting business opportunities (with lots more to come)
- Presented in a few conferences
- I was a host, a guest, and a panelist in various online events, live-streams, and podcasts
- Became much more confident with my newsletter and the things I create and sell
- Learned to be more assertive
- Started being bold and learned to ask
- Got better at sales
- Got accepted to a few new conferences for 2021
Did I Attend any Meetings, Conferences or Trainings?
- Lambda Days
- Future of Work Gdańsk series
- Bit Better Book Club Meetings
- Idea Squash
- DevsHelpingDevs Book Club
- Mastermind Group Meetings
Materialism / Minimalism
- Bought a new microphone for course creation
- Started building a recording booth for course creation
- Bought a ring light
- Bought new loudspeakers for the main system
- Bought new loudspeakers for the office system
- Great HiFI turned out to be a very good asset during the isolation
- Bought an LG projector. Besides HiFI, I think this was one of the biggest lifestyle upgrades. Also helped during the isolation.
- Resisted buying a new backpack since I rarely have use for it in the current travel-less environment
- Resisted buying the new version of the noise-canceling headphones I currently own. The new ones are nicer, but I don’t exactly need them.
- Spent the entire first few months buying only necessary things. No snacks, no clothes, no books, no devices unless they are really necessary. A great exercise!
Did I Grow any New Hobbies?
- Watching movies on a projector screen
- Building LEGO
Was I Politically Active?
- Sadly, no.
Was I Involved with Community?
- Established a local indie makers group
- Helped transition Hackerspace Trójmiasto
- Organized a Toptal community meeting
- Started getting involved with makers communities such as ProductHunt, Makerlog, Indie Hackers
- Helped establish a new training spot
Yearly review: 2020 in Review
- 2020 in Review
Notes mentioning this note
2020 in Review
This was a year of doing scary things and establishing passive revenue streams. Also of isolation and appreciating friendship and...
This Codex Vitae, or “book of life”, is a collection of my beliefs and concepts that inform my decisions and...
Monthly Reviews 2020
January 2020 February 2020 March 2020 April 2020 May 2020 June 2020 July 2020 August 2020 September 2020 October 2020...
2017 in Review 2018 in Review 2019 in Review 2020 in Review