Roam Digital Garden
- First, create a note in Roam called Public and reference all the notes that you want to publish (use the double bracket notation, hash notation won’t work).
- Then, fork this repo and mark it as private: https://github.com/maximevaillancourt/digital-garden-jekyll-template . You want it private as, for now, all your Roam notes will end up in the repository and you probably don’t want them visible on the Web.
- Edit the Jekyll config in the repo (
_config.yml) to contain:
- Then configure GitHub secrets as per the instructions here: )>
- And finally, create
.github/workflows/main.ymlwith the following content:
name: "Roam Research backup" on: push: branches: - master schedule: - cron: "0 * * * *" jobs: backup: runs-on: ubuntu-latest name: Backup timeout-minutes: 15 steps: - uses: actions/checkout@v2 - name: Set up Python 3.8 uses: actions/setup-python@v1 with: python-version: 3.8 - name: Setup dependencies run: | pip install git+<https://github.com/DoomHammer/roam-to-git.git@roam-to-garden> - name: Run backup run: roam-to-git --skip-git . env: ROAMRESEARCH_USER: $ ROAMRESEARCH_PASSWORD: $ ROAMRESEARCH_DATABASE: $ - name: Commit changes uses: elstudio/actions-js-build/commit@v3 with: commitMessage: Automated snapshot
- To publish your digital garden, go to Netlify and create a new site from the repository you’ve just created.
This will run every hour, fetch the notes referenced by your Public note, and publish them.
If you like this digital garden and would like to build your own, here are the instructions on how to do it with Roam Research: Roam Digital Garden.
- Roam Digital Garden